Volunteer at the Clever Cubs School!
Make a positive impact at Naankuse Clever Cubs School; where culture and conservation come together to change the lives of the San Bushman children.
You will have a once in a lifetime opportunity to fully immerse yourself in the education and development of the San Bushman children of Namibia. Previous experience of working in a school is not required.
Volunteering at the Clever Cubs School
Through each of our projects, Naankuse provides an important source of employment, accommodation, education, and healthcare to several San Bushmen families. Our aim is to give the next generation of this marginalized community the boost they need to build a brighter and healthier future.
Volunteering at the Clever Cubs School provides a unique opportunity to make a positive impact on the local San Bushman children, whilst surrounded by Namibia’s beautiful landscapes and wildlife. Located at the Naankuse Wildlife Sanctuary, the Clever Cubs School co-exists with nature. Clever Cubs is truly a place where wildlife and communities come together.
School volunteer activities can include:
- Daily activities could include:
- Teaching the students new skills such as arts and crafts, music, dance, etc
- Actively participating in school projects
- Helping in the playground and ensure the safety of the children
- Helping with clearing up and cleaning around the school as required.
Previous experience of working in a school is not required
About the San Bushman of Namibia and The Clever Cubs School
The San are one of the oldest tribes in the world; traditionally hunter gatherers in the Kalahari Desert. Unfortunately today’s reality is different; they are the most marginalised community in Namibia. The Clever Cubs School was established in 2009 with the aim of providing a quality education to children who have historically been denied this opportunity.
The Clever Cubs School is run by the Naankuse Foundation which aims to conserve the land, communities and wildlife of Namibia.
At Naankuse, we believe every child has the right to a quality education and to the best start in life. The school students are the children of the families that live and work at Naankuse. It began as a pre-primary school, but now we are able to educate children up to grade 3. After grade 3, we sponsor children to attend mainstream primary school in Windhoek in order to further their education.
Clever Cubs is a place where passion is encouraged and enthusiasm is fostered. Learning, development and cultural heritage are at the heart of the school. The students regularly attend our ancient San skills academy in order to hear stories and learn Bushmen skills in order to prevent the loss of this ancient culture.
We follow the government provided curriculum and undertake our classes in English.
How to book and further information
The Clever Cubs School is based at the N/a’an ku sê Wildlife Sanctuary, just outside Windhoek, Namibia.
Volunteers will be accommodated in shared rooms which can take up to three-four people (same gender) , or large tents with a living and bedroom area to be shared by up to two people (same gender or a couple). The rooms are basic, but our single beds are comfortable with bedding provided (duvets and pillows). Showers and toilet facilities are communal and hot water is supplied by solar energy and therefore sometimes restricted. Power sockets for electrical items are available in communal areas.
Three balanced meals are provided per day on a self-serve basis. On weekends we often have a braai (barbecue). Vegetarian options are available upon request and all dietary conditions can be accommodated for provided you inform us prior to arrival.
- All volunteers have to be over 18 years old
- Volunteers can choose to stay for 2 to 12 weeks
- First aid certificate or qualification is desirable
- An interest in education is essential
- We require volunteers who can be a role model for the children and who are passionate about helping them have the best start in life.
The school can accommodate four volunteers at any time, and accommodation and meals are included in the volunteer fee. All funds received through volunteer fees are directed straight back into the running of the school.
– Fixed arrival days are Monday or Thursday, with complimentary transfers from either the Windhoek international airport (Hosea Kotako) or the centre of Windhoek
– 14-night minimum stay
– Induction presentations on Tuesdays and Fridays
– Transfers occurring outside of Monday and Thursday will be charged an additional N$500 per person
Accommodation, food and other facilities
– Twin or triple share tents, twin to triple share rooms (same gender sharing, or couples/families)
– 3 meals provided per day, most dietary requirements can be catered for
– Laundry service
– Bar/shop for drinks, snacks, Namibian sim card/credit, ATM, Wi-Fi coupons for sale, cell-phone reception