Basic Education Teacher (Grades 1-3)
The N/a’an ku sê Foundation is committed to improving the health and well-being of the San Bushmen and is looking for a qualified teacher to run the Clever Cubs School based at the N/a’an ku sê Wildlife Sanctuary, 45 minutes outside Windhoek. This is a unique opportunity to provide quality education to the San Bushmen.
The San are among the oldest peoples in the world. They are traditionally hunter-gatherers but, in recent times, have been forced from their original lands. Today, they are widely discriminated against and marginalised. The N/a’an ku sê Foundation provides job and training opportunities to San Bushman families and free education for their children in a bid to break the cycle of poverty so harshly experienced by this ancient culture.
The job requires an enthusiastic, imaginative and energetic individual. Most importantly you need to be flexible, resilient and tolerant.
- Develop and implement lessons / work schemes.
- Provide a safe, secure and stimulating environment that facilitates learning for children to feel comfortable.
- Organize and supervise play and work activities (for example reading, sport, music, dancing etc).
- Liaise and discuss children’s development with parents.
- Maintain records.
- Monitor and record progress.
- Comfort children.
- Establish routines and provide positive guidance.
- Nurture and develop the knowledge, abilities and social skills of children between the ages of 6 – 9 years and prepare them for senior primary school education.
- Register and ensure enrollment of grade 4 learners at primary schools in Windhoek.
- Assist primary school learners with homework and any other curricular requirements in the afternoons
- Liaise with public interest groups such as students, guests, volunteers and sponsors.
- Manage and support volunteers at the Clever Cubs School.
- 3-year Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent qualification in basic education.
- Experience or training in children with special needs will be an advantage.
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience teaching primary school students.
- Excellent spoken and written English. Afrikaans language skills desirable.
- Excellent supervisory, decision making, time management and organizational skills.
- Namibian citizenship or permanent residence is an advantage.
Start date and duration are flexible and can be discussed
We are flexible in who we appoint, so please contact us to discuss further. We welcome applications from single people and retired teachers. Ideally those who can commit to a long period of work, such as a full year, will be given preference. Please contact us if you are interested.
- Voluntary position with food, accommodation and a living allowance provided.
- Food, accommodation, SSC and 50% NMC (medical aid) will be provided.
Please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com (subject line: Teacher).