Mobile and internet coverage
The N/a’an ku sê Wildlife Sanctuary, Mangetti and the Lifeline Clinic are covered by Namibia’s main network provider MTC but some of the remote areas you may visit during your time there may not have reception. Neuras is a rural property and can be safely reached through a landline or in certain mobile reception hotspots. There is no phone reception at Kanaan but there is a landline.
It is worth considering buying a local SIM card to insert in your phone during your visit (giving you a Namibian number with an 081 prefix). You can then phone purchase “International bundles” from MTC that will enable you to phone home very reasonably. For more information see, http://www.mtc.com.na/services/pre-paid/international-voice-bundles
- If you plan to do this, you will need to get your phone unlocked before you leave.
- You can buy a local SIM card at the airport for only NAD 10.
- Phones using nano SIM’s may need a visit to Windhoek
Africa including Namibia is not gifted with great internet. N/a’an ku sê sites vary in their internet bandwidth and service. As such the offering to volunteers varies.
- N/a’an ku sê Wildlife Sanctuary – WiFi is not available unless in case of emergencies.
- Lifeline Clinic offers internet with low bandwidth.
- Neuras offers a few hours in the evening to volunteers.
- Kanaan and Mangetti have no internet.